This year, we’re Giving the Gift of Goats!!
Our inaugural Great Canadian Goat Run in 2010 was a Food-Raiser & Fund-Raiser for the Upper Room Food Bank. Thanks to our sponsors and the Island running community, we raised three big bins of food and $700. cash!
This year we’re continuing our Food-Raising project for the Food Bank with a 2 week local Food Drive and, like last year, runners will receive a $5.00 discount on race registration with a donation of any non-perishable food item for the Food Bank.
Our Fund-Raising project this year is goats!
Not just any old goats, Goats from Oxfam Unwrapped!
Every $58. we raise will buy the life changing gift of a goat
from Oxfam Unwrapped
and support Oxfam’s livelihoods programs.
“Oxfam Canada works to find lasting solutions to poverty in more than 20 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas…. Your Oxfam Unwrapped gift will help people living in poverty gain greater levels of self-sufficiency and control over their lives and the future of their communities. “
Goats are one of the world’s heartiest animals, adapting and surviving in extreme climates and environments. A single dairy goat can produce almost 100 litres of protein rich milk each month for the recipients and their families. But these goats are not about food security – they are about providing the recipients with a marketable commodity (milk), and the skills needed, to earn an income. Two goats can produce 2 to 3 kids a year. With the first female kid of each gifted goat being given to another family, The Gift of Goats will keep on giving!
“Your gift also includes animal vaccinations, animal health training and instruction on marketing, meaning a single goat can create greater self- sufficiency, self-esteem and educational opportunities for recipients and their families. Each goat is purchased in the region where it is needed. Oxfam’s program officers ensure that communities have the resources and training to take on the responsibility of animal rearing.”
“Oxfam Canada stands in solidarity with women and men around the world, helping them with the tools and intangibles that empower them to become leaders in their communities. Our programs are designed to strengthen skills so that women and men are able to enjoy their rights, live lives of dignity and pursue dreams and goals.”
We at The Great Canadian Soap Company know how great goats are and we’re are thrilled to be able to host this Goat-Raising, Goat-Giving run. We’re so thrilled in fact, it’s not ending with the Run. We are committing to fundraising for the “Give the Gift of Goats” Fund from this year’s Great Canadian Goat Run clear through until next year’s “3rd Annual Great Canadian Goat Run”!
We’ll be accepting donations at our Shop and through our Online store as well as through our running employee, Alex “Runman” Bain. Alex will be gathering sponsors for his every racing Km between the 2011 and 2012 Goat Run through his Runman Blog.
Like last year:
- Our 5K and 10K courses remain the same
- We’ll have some good food and some great door prizes after the Run
- We’ll have unique medals for top finishers and Soap Shop gift certificates for everyone who runs their first ever race or a Personal Best time.
- And of course there’ll be fun! Lots of kidding around and lots of good, clean, fun!
New this year:
- We’ll have T-shirts for the first bunch of runners who register. If we run out of shirts (or if you’d prefer) you’ll be treated to a bar of the Great Canadian Soap Company’s Goat’s Milk Soap.
- We’ll have Pre-Registration at the Shop: The Great Canadian Soap Co, 4224 Portage Rd, Brackley Beach, starting November 1st, Mon-Sat 9-5.
- We have a new Family rate: registration is $15 or $30 for a Family. And remember – you get a $5 discount on registration with a donation of food to the Food Bank.
- We’re really excited to have Finish Line entertainment provided by… you guessed it! … of course…. Ten Strings & A Goat Skin!
We’re having a Food Drive in conjunction with the Run
in the 2 weeks leading up to the Run (1/11/11-11/11/11).
We invite everyone to drop their non-perishable food donations off at the Shop
November 1st-11th, Mon-Sat, 9-5.
Join us, Saturday November 12th at The Great Canadian Soap Co. in Brackley Beach
for a fun 5K or 10K run around our neighbourhood.
Your kids will love our kids so bring the whole family out to run or cheer you on!
Join us in a celebration of Goats & Running
as, together, we give back to our Island community
and launch our year long project to Give the Gift of Goats
to families living in poverty around the world.
We’ll have good food, fun & prizes… Great times & Great Tunes!
Everything you could want in a race…. and Goats!